2009/05/30

Thinking Out Loud about my second manuscript & posting music videos

So I'm thinking out loud here about my second manuscript, in the hopes that this will give me some motivation to keep going over the summer, when I hope to do most of my writing. My plan is to not edit a single word here, to just type freely, and to have it be a mirror for the poems and process I am undergoing with the manuscript. I'm having to write in California (or, getting to, I should say) as this is the first summer in about ten years I will not be abroad. I've gotten into a decent rhythm writing in the mornings, and I have a few poems I am developing. I've been listening a lot to the poems at From the Fishouse, where the audio is very inspiring for me. I am listening to all of Kevin A. Gonzalez's poems these days--"Cultural Sellout," "Cultural Slut," and "Cultural Stud" among my favorites. I have already used one of his lines for an epigraph for a poem of mine. I am also enjoying Alexander Long's poem called "Still Life with Suicide," written for a friend of Long's whom he names "B" in the poem. What these two poems have given me is a blend of culture and life/death, and somehow the poems I am writing have become full, wide poems (on the page), which I have wanted to do for a while now. The poems stretch almost entirely across the entire page, in one full stanza. One of the poems I'm working on right now is called "Consciousness as Storm." I'm reading Khaled Mattawa's Amorisco to accompany the drafting of this poem, and it is working well.

*

This song is loud. One of the bands I used to love and still do, when the time is right. This song goes best driving on the freeway with no children in the backseat.

4 comments:

  1. That's great about the spreading line-length, Lee. Sounds like your breath is expanding. And change is good. :-) Thanks for the Fishouse tip, too. I'll got check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Ivy! The lines and the length are both bourgeoning at the moment, and I am letting it go. We'll see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed "Consciousness as Storm". Good luck with the writing!

    ReplyDelete